Thursday, May 1, 2008

Have you clapped for the dancer?

Molson has these Canadian beer commercials that do a great job of branding what it means to be a Canadian. Their latest commercial shows a series of quintessentially Canadian occurrences in each Canadian's life - I should clarify...male Canadian because God forbid a beer company actually market a beer to women.

As I watch this commercial over and over again as it plays during the NHL playoffs, I realize that I've been here long enough to either have experienced these quintessential Canadian moments in life, or at least can relate to the emotion they convey. I've used my arm as an ice scraper; I've bought someone a beer when I spilled his pint; I've put my coat on a big pile during a party and known it would be there the next day; I haven't grown a beard during playoffs, but I've known a couple of guys that let the rules of grooming go during the playoffs.

What does the American equivalent of this commercial look like....Have you bought the Hummer when you know you can't afford it? Have you floated in the ocean and held your beer up when the waves come? Have you camped out the night before a tailgate just so you can get your spot for GameDay, and you don't even have tickets to the game?

Ok, so maybe this should be a commercial for Dixie or Abita. I'm not sure beer drinkers in Kansas or Idaho would relate.

No comments: