Monday, May 19, 2008

Red stripe


I had my belt test for my red stripe last Friday. I passed and am one step closer to my black belt. The test was harder than I expected. Not in the sense that I couldn't execute was what asked of me, but it was physically and mentally draining. The test got moved to May 23rd, but I won't be able to attend that night. So, I tested after class on Friday. After a Friday class (which are usually more intense than Mondays and Wednesdays), it was more difficult to draw up the stamina needed for the test.

I was most impressed with my combinations and my board breaking. I broke 2 boards - one with a sidekick and one with a 360 back kick. Both broke right down the middle and felt as thin as paper as my heel broke through each one. It's all in the accuracy, not necessarily the power. Which is so true for most things in life...it's quality, not quantity that counts. I focused on the exact middle of each board visualizing the break, and before I knew it, my heel was on the other side.

I'm hoping to train a bit during the Portage in the Sportage '08 so that I can test again in the fall. That will be for a red belt. Then a brown, then a black. It's not so much the black belt itself I'm looking forward to, but the path to get there. I look back on my skills as a yellow belt, and I've come such a long way. I want that same feeling looking back at myself as a red stripe.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Go you! I'm not gonna mess with you! (but I learned that lesson long ago...)

Anonymous said...

Very proud of my TKD cutie! Also very impressed; as you said, not so much with the skill itself, but the dedication and determination to get there. It takes some of us longer than others to understand that.