Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Patchwork heritage

For those who didn't see President Obama's inauguration speech live today, you can click here and watch it. The BBC posted video and full text. It may seem ironic to some that I'm linking to the BBC when its a video of the US Presidential Inauguration, and I live in Canada.

While I was watching it online tonight (because all of the internet traffic all around the world today wrecked havoc on my already temperamental internet connection at work), I thought a lot of things.

One of the most important things I thought was how much our family was made from the patchwork heritage that President Obama spoke about. After having a child and living outside of the US, I sometimes think about passing on my culture and my heritage to Navarre, and I wonder if I will be able to pass to her the knowledge and understanding of where she comes from and where I come from. I'm almost sad to say that it took this speech for me to realize that our family is somewhat a mirror of American culture - different cultures coming together out of love and hope and starting a new family.

This gives me confidence in myself - confidence to teach Navarre about her Southern Cajun American culture and confidence in my country that we can remember the values that allowed us to become our own country.

Happy Inauguration Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You will do a fine job of teaching Navarre about her heritage. That little ball of fire is one little melting pot! Isn't it great when we can appreciate our differences and celebrate that common thread that binds us?