Sunday, November 18, 2007

yum yum...here I come!

I think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself but since I'm not working outside of the home, I'm thinking I'm going to have time to do all of this baking this holiday season. I'm really looking forward to it. I love to bake. I went cake tasting with a friend of mine last week for her wedding. The woman baking the cake has her own business run out of her home. She's converted part of her basement into a fully functioning kitchen and "studio" for brides-to-be and friends to sample cakes. It was the cutest, most functional space I've seen in a long time. This woman works for a hotel two days a week and runs her wedding cake business, Layers. She does about 4 weddings every weekend. Why can't I do something like this??

I'm not sure I want to do wedding cakes though. The pressure of baking someone's wedding cake may be too much for me. I wasn't one of those brides that would have even noticed at my reception if something was slightly off with the cake, but there are plenty of them out there, and I don't think I want to deal with these women. Anyway, maybe I could use this time on maternity leave to get a business plan together that would allow me to work out of the home partime and bake the other time. I could be at home more with the baby girl and I would actually love what I do. After growing up with my family owning a small business, I've always said I wanted to be my own boss someday. I could start small with a stand at the Halifax Farmers' Market (this is the best farmers' market I've ever seen). Hmmmmm, something I'll have to look into. I think this will be my new year's project.

Nicole's handknits and Leslie's desserts...we could be a force to be reckoned with.

(Jamie - no comment on ending with a preposition)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I DO like the idea, but I'm not sure I can knit at the same pace that you bake!!

Anonymous said...

Right on about the Halifax market! Far and away the best I've seen. BR's market is really growing, too. Has a way to go to make it to the Halifax status. Tell Jamie to get that basement in shape for a bake shop! You could bake, Nicole could knit, and I could do the advertising and promotions. In order to stay away from Bridzilla out there, just stick to the sweets and everyday cakes. What a team!