Friday, April 11, 2008

180 hook kicks that feel like 180 side kicks

So another TKD class tonight. My speed is coming back bit by bit. Every class I see improvement with that. I would have thought that my flexibility would have been even greater than before when I came back after the baby. But, I'm noticing that in some ways it's worse. When I'm stretching, I seem more flexible, then when I'm trying to do high kicks, it's not there. What gives??

I had a really good 180 hook kick before the baby, and now it's like I'm hooking someone's chest...um, that's not going to work. When I'm aiming for the side of the head and I'm hitting the chest - that's a problem. I'm glad to see some improvement each class....I just want it to come faster than it is.

I learn and improve by repetition, so I need to spend 1 hour straight about 3 times a week doing hook kicks. The gear we have in Song-ho's new digs is great. It's so much easier practicing and improving when you've got someone holding a kicking shield or coming at you with a pad. I used to get Jamie to hold the kicking pad or put on my hogoo, but that always ended badly....for Jamie. Not because of inaccurate kicking, but improper gear....my hogoo is too small for him so it doesn't really protect him like it should. You also need to learn how to hold the pads for the different kicks. The hogoo not fitting and him not knowing how to hold the pad led to some bumps and bruises.

So, I'll keep at it with TKD twice a week and hope those hook kicks come up some so I can knock that challenger on her ass in another competition.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It will come back to you.... just takes practice.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. You'll get better. Be proud of yourself for getting back with it. Jamie should be proud for having the courage to attmept to help!