Wednesday, February 27, 2008

No country for weak asses

I just finished reading No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. It was an excellent book; the best I've read in a while. That's not saying much because I haven't read much lately. I haven't seen the Cohen brothers movie yet, but I'm curious to see how they incorporate the Sheriff's narrative into the movie. I can't imagine that they didn't include this somehow since it's a large component of the book.

If you haven't read the book and you want to, stop reading here...I haven't seen the movie, so I'm not sure if anything below will ruin the ending...

The entire time I was reading I had a sneaking suspicion of who was going to bite the dust as soon as they were introduced. Even knowing that, I was holding out some hope that McCarthy's welder was going to make it out somehow. I know that Chigurh is one bad mo-fo. Psychopathic killer is a good description. I'm struggling with the common theme that ties the sheriff's narrative and the game of finder's keepers - wait no, finder's going to die - together throughout the entire book. Maybe there isn't a common theme, but why include the narrative? Chigurh and Llewelyn provide one hell of a story on their own. Jamie's reading it now...we'll wait and see what the English teacher has to say about that one.

I have seen some clips from the movie - the scene with the coin toss and the explosion at the pharmacy. Just seeing those clips and reading the book tell me that the Cohens seem to have captured the emotionless killer that is Chigurh. Hopefully the rest of the movie won't disappoint.

No comments: